Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Plaza of Bears-Montevideo, Uruguay

A plaza full of bears! Each country of the world had its own bear that was decorated to represent the country. I have no idea who was putting on this exhibition, but it filled the Plaza Independencia with pure joy.

Uruguayan children and bears.


My love for Brazil bear was in part because of nostalgia and also for its advocacy to protect the cultures of its indigenous peoples. Yay natives!

Coexisting-and-loving-it golden bears.

Einstein bear and I were close.

Personal favorite was Moldova bear. The cartoon on the tummy is a man pointing to Moldova on a map and announcing "Here is Moldova". Moldova holds a certain amount of personal meaning since I stumbled across a protest put on by its youth when I was in Paris, France. My first protest on my first day in Paris, oh joy. And to think my first protest included a guy side-kicking another guy who handing out fliers encouraging people to be upset about the Moldovan elections...

R-E-S-P-E-C-T: silver bear.

Uruguay bear looks like it is wearing a moo-moo.

The amount of respect Uruguayans have for their neighbor acted out by putting Argentina-bear in a box.