Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Montevideo, Uruguay

In all honesty, Montevideo looked and felt like a miniature Buenos Aires. I had a lovely time, but the bus ride back to Colonia to catch the ferry was easily the better part of the trip. Uruguay has a countryside filled with scrubby bushes and rolling green hills. Closer to Colonia were palm trees infiltrating the bush coverage of the hills.

A few signs in Uruguay:

(I thought the pregnancy symbol was a little unusual on this sign)

Both Argentines and Uruguayans drink mate, but Uruguayans seem to have a greater appreciation for it. I even saw a guy drinking mate while biking, steering the bike with one hand and sipping from the cup held in the other hand.
Me creeping on a couple enjoying mate along the beach on a leisurely Sunday afternoon.
A vendor at the Montevideo fair. Mate is the name of the cup, and yerba is the tea-like substance. One puts yerba into the mate, adds hot water, and drinks from the bombillo, the straw.

While museum hopping was out since nearly all were closed or had extremely limited hours, mate sipping was one available Sunday activity and fishing was another. I am mildly curious as to what this guy caught, if anything.
Or one could go skating if under 4'8" and uncoordinated on wheels.
Or one could eat fried tortillas. For the equivalent of 2 pennies, I enjoyed this mind-bogglingly delicious, yet simple, treat.