Friday, January 29, 2010

Brussels

Finally! Posting! In these first 2 weeks, I've toured the town, sampled some of the cuisine (still no brussel sprouts in Brussels...or mussels in Brussels), and started my internship at the European Journalism Centre.
This is town hall, in the Grand Place at the center of Brussels. I'm not sure if it is used for any actual town related things now, but it does look rather pretty.
In the day. It wasn't expected to be this cold, snow is rather unusual for Belgium. The first week, however, gave me the impression it was going to be snowing for the rest of my life. Now, it is just rain and a biting wind. I can't decide if this is an improvement.
View of the older downtown section at night.

Royal Palace. The King only stays here some of the time, it's more used for the wining and dining events.


My roommate (well, one of them) from this past semester. We are at Delirium, a bar that brews it's own beer, which is particularly strong. They also offer a changing selection on tap, rumored to be somewhere in the thousands. You have the option of drinking your beer from a normal glass, or from a boot. We opted for the 1 liter boot rather than the 2 on this evening.

Manneken Pis, an icon of Brussels. Supposedly a little boy of nobility peed on the flames of the fire that would have burned Brussels to the ground sometime in the 17th century. Now they have a fountain (which pees) and someone comes along and dresses up. Some outfits include Elvis and the Pope.
World-class waffles, I could eat this stuff all day. In Brussels you eat it like this, where it is a rather large waffle and then you can put whatever toppings you like on top. Other places in Belgium don't necessarily eat them this way.

Not pictured: anything from the EU or NATO. Bureaucracy doesn't seem to make for good photos. Also, my internship. Perhaps I'll take photos of my colleagues after a bit, so they don't think I am the paparazzi.